2007 Mar 26 12:45

Re: [vox-tech] PuTTY

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 11:06:39AM -0700, Matin Hashemi wrote:
> Hello everybody :-)
>
> I know this may sound so classic, but how do I make PuTTY correctly handle
> the END key in bash? I use PuTTY 0.58 and remote connect to a Linux machine
> with bash version 3.00.0(2)-release (i686-pc-linux-gnu)....
>
> There is an option in putty configuration menu: Terminal->Keyboard:
> the HOME and END keys: 1) standard 2) rxvt
>
> The HOME key works fine either ways, but the END key doesn't do anything in
> rxvt mode and prints "~" in the standard mode!
>
> What do I do? :-)
>
> I can install a different version of PuTTY or bash if that helps....
>
> Thanks,
> Matin

I have used PuTTY to reach several hundred machines (currently daily
access to around 230) and have never seen this behavior. It may be
just compatibility between a particular shell flavor and your version
of PuTTY, or an STTY setting in your .bash_profile, .bashrc, or
/etc/bashrc, or a terminfo issue; I don't know, but I can offer my
configuration and a bit of advice :-)

Determine your version of BASH by using:

  sh --version

Two of my Linux hosts report back:

  GNU bash, version 2.05b.0(1)-release (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu)

  GNU bash, version 3.1.17(1)-release (i486-pc-linux-gnu)

<digression>
 In case you ever want to try this for the Korn shell, use:

  <ESC>

 followed by:

  <CTRL>v

 to determine your version of the Korn shell.

 On a sampling of my Solaris boxes, I get:

  Version M-11/16/88i

</digression>

Here are my relevant PuTTY settings:

Window -> Translation
  -> Received data assumed to be in which character set:
        ISO-8859-1:1998 (Latin-1, West Europe)

Terminal
  -> Answerback to ^E:                  PuTTY
Terminal -> Keyboard
  -> Backspace key:                     Control-H
  -> Home and End keys:                 Standard
  -> Function keys and keypad:          ESC[n~
  -> Initial state of cursor keys:      Normal
  -> Initial state of numeric keypad:   Normal
  -> Enable extra keyboard features:    Control-Alt is different from
AltGr

I'm using PuTTY Release 0.58. Beta 0.59 is available.

Simon Tatham is the primary developer for PuTTY, and a good guy; he has
actually directly responded to questions I've had about PuTTY before...
try the PuTTY website at:

for more assistance.

Hope that helps!

--