2007 Mar 23 09:31

[vox-tech] Re: How to tell if a pdf is text or image?

[vox-tech] Re: How to tell if a pdf is text or image?

[...]
> PDF is a scripting language. You can look at the raw PDF with a text
> editor and you'll see plain text PDF operators interspersed with
> possibly binary data. In principle PDF is a programming language and the
> only way to tell what it produces is to run it. But in practice, PDF
> code is all machine-written, and you could probably learn to distinguish
> font-using PDFs from pure-image PDFs by examining the raw PDF file.
>
> You could look for the font embedding operators. A document consisting
> only of scanned page images probably won't have any fonts embedded in
> it. Or, if the scanned-paper PDFs are all made by a particular program,
> you might be able to identify particular PDF operator sequences that it
> uses.

In that vein, I ask: is Alex's question about a general method
applicable to the set of all possible PDF files, or are the PDF files of
the particular problem a limited set created by one or a few programs?

--
Henry House
+1 530 753 3361 ext. 13