2007 Mar 19 01:55

Re: [vox-tech] You are here -><-

On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 10:04:15PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Troy Arnold (troy-vox@zenux.net):
>
> > But... this TLDP list needs a bit of cleanup.  I've no doubt that the
> > Essex Linux Users group was 'da bomb when it was last updated in '97
> > or so, but it's a looking a little peaked.  :)
>
> Given hundreds of (ever-changing) LUGs, no _useful_ help (this past
> decade) assessing their Internet presence, and language barriers,
> personally checking them -- continually -- tends to slide, on my
> priority list, somewhere behind lint-sorting.

Fair enough.  But lists aren't terribly useful unless the lint is sorted
out.  Certainly, I understand the limits of *donated* time and effort.
However, that Essex group site appears to not have been touched in just shy
of 10 YEARS.
<http://web.archive.org/web/19970412210704/http://www.epos.demon.co.uk/>

Methinks "continually" might be a bit of an exaggeration. :) That said, I've
looked over each LUG on this list, and all of them that I could understand
appear to have something interesting to offer.  (Except, for now,
http://www.linuxbh.org/ which appears to be over their bandwidth cap)

> Anyhow, care to FedEx me a few kilohours' spare time to personally assess
> the world's LUGs' Internet presences -- or, better, volunteer to do that
> job yourself?
>
> No?  How about starting small, and sending half a dozen "These guys
> impressed me" suggestions.  That would be a little more useful than
> (paraphrasing): "Essex sux0rz.  You need to do a bunch more work."

I don't feel that going in search of a few more LUG's is a productive use
of my (or your) time.  Rest assured, I contribute to this great bazaar
myself, with donations, with time and with many dozens of messages dropped
in thanks.  I greatly appreciate the efforts of people such as yourself
whose contributions are far greater.

-troy