January 6: Social gathering
2007 Mar 21 20:36

[vox-tech] vim annoyance in new Ubuntu Edgy installation

[vox-tech] vim annoyance in new Ubuntu Edgy installation

I have a new installation of Ubuntu Edgy whose provided Vim package has
some very annoying problems that make it nearly unusable. I have copied
over my old /etc/vim/ and ~/.vimrc unchanged.

- folds are on with pieces of most kinds of files (conffiles, mail)
  being hidden by default. I need to manually set foldmethod=marker or
  foldlevel=10 to unhide everything. Adding either of those commands to
  my vimrc had no apparent effect.

- syntax highlighting fails silently

- weird abbreviation expansions occur when I typ certain texts

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? What is really weird is
that vim works fine on another Ubuntu Edgy system, installed about a
month ago.

ii  vim-common                    7.0-164+1ubuntu6~edgy1        Vi IMproved - Common files
ii  vim-gtk                       7.0-164+1ubuntu6~edgy1        Vi IMproved - enhanced vi editor - with GTK2 GUI
ii  vim-gui-common                7.0-164+1ubuntu6~edgy1        Vi IMproved - Common GUI files
ii  vim-runtime                   7.0-164+1ubuntu6~edgy1        Vi IMproved - Runtime files

--
Henry House
+1 530 753 3361 ext. 13