2007 Mar 19 01:20

Re: [vox-tech] You are here -><-

Quoting Troy Arnold (troy-vox@zenux.net):

> But... this TLDP list needs a bit of cleanup.  I've no doubt that the
> Essex Linux Users group was 'da bomb when it was last updated in '97
> or so, but it's a looking a little peaked.  :)

Given hundreds of (ever-changing) LUGs, no _useful_ help (this past
decade) assessing their Internet presence, and language barriers,
personally checking them -- continually -- tends to slide, on my
priority list, somewhere behind lint-sorting.

Example of non-useful help:  A recent request to add a south Russian LUG's
Web site to the above-cited roster (LUGs "using the Internet in an
important or interesting way"):  Upon examination -- non-trivial, as my
Cyrillic is iffy, and my Russian abysmal, and therefore requiring about
an hour of careful deciphering -- it's merely Yet Another Generic Drupal
Site.  "It's the sort of thing that will be enjoyed by those who enjoy
that sort of thing" (quoth Mr.  Lincoln) -- but "important or
interesting" that ain't.

When I very politely wrote back, tactfully mentioning that "important or
interesting" criterion and asking what specifically one should notice, I
heard back... nothing at all.  Nada.  Rein du tout.  Zip.  Not even a
"Oh, I see.  Well, thanks for your time, and for considering us."

Anyhow, care to FedEx me a few kilohours' spare time to personally
assess the world's LUGs' Internet presences -- or, better, volunteer to
do that job yourself?

No?  How about starting small, and sending half a dozen "These guys
impressed me" suggestions.  That would be a little more useful than
(paraphrasing): "Essex sux0rz.  You need to do a bunch more work."