2007 Mar 12 09:25

Re: [vox-tech] Internet Connectivity Weirdness

On Monday 12 March 2007 02:01:59 am Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> Richard S. Crawford wrote:

> >>What is the output of
> >>
> >>   netstat -nr
> >>
> >>and
> >>
> >>   ip link
> >>
> >>from your home machines? Also, what is doing the routing for your
> >>home network? One of your linux boxes, or a commercial router?
> >
> > richard@seamus:~
> > $ netstat -nr
> > Kernel IP routing table
> > Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
> > Iface 192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0
> >    0 eth0 0.0.0.0         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG        0 0
> >        0 eth0
> >
> > richard@seamus:~
> > $ ip link
> > 1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,10000> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue
> >     link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
> > 2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,10000> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen
> > 1000 link/ether 00:30:bd:b3:f9:2f brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
> > 3: sit0: <NOARP> mtu 1480 qdisc noop
> >     link/sit 0.0.0.0 brd 0.0.0.0
> >

> > I've got a Linksys router doing my routing for me.  :)
>
> The fact that the traceroute fails at the Linksys is wierd.
> If it failed outside your network, I could see the problem being
> an ISP router issue... but you can't even get a response from
> your own router.
>
> I was hoping an explanation might be found in a dead route to a vpn,
> but your response above indicates no dead routes on your computer.
>
> It is generally best to troubleshoot connectivity problems with
> IP numbers first... then when all that works, use DNS names to
> check out your DNS resolution.  Does traceroute work for other
> public IP addresses?

Nope, it fails with all public IP addresses.

If this were a router issue, though, wouldn't I be unable to get out at all?

Editor In Chief, Daikaijuzine (http://www.daikaijuzine.com)
AIM: Buffalo2K / GTalk: underpope@gmail.com
"You can't trust your judgement when your imagination is out of focus."
		(Mark Twain)