2007 Mar 10 09:10

Re: [vox-tech] How to get started with Linux

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 11:56:39PM -0800, Tim Coddington wrote:
> I am a mostly Windows user trying to make the jump.
>
> So I bought a new computer (the parts are still in various boxes around
> the house) and
> downloaded a copy of Ubuntu 6.10 onto my PC.  Burnt the copy onto a DVD
> (to large to use
> a CD being .73 Gig).
>
> It seems that I am completely clue-free on where to go next.  The suffix
> of the file is .iso.  So
> how do I open it to see what is inside?  No utilities recognize that
> suffix.  Since DVD drivers
> don't come with Linux, is there a way to get it onto a CD?

What program did you use to burn it? Better burning programs will give
you an option to burn from a CD image, which is what a ".iso" file is
(ISO9660 from the http://www.iso.org/ actually). I know that at least older
versions of Roxio have this option. See this page for descriptions of
how to do it in various programs:
http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm
Also, try this program:
http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm
it is very simple to use and is recommended by Microsoft. Heh. It's
actually good though, it really should come with Windows. If you need any
more help, try coming to one of our installfests: http://www.lugod.org/if/ .
Hope this helps.
Nick Schmalenberger