2007 Mar 03 12:15

[vox-tech] mouse is too fast

I've got a ps/2 mouse on a desktop that makes the pointer move too quickly in Linux: the pointer moves too far for a corresponding physical movement of the mouse. I've turned acceleration off, and it is still too fast. By googling, I've found two things to try. The first is to set the mouse resolution in the X11 config file, like

Option "Resolution" "256"

However, this does not make any difference for me. I read that this used to work before X11 version 4 (and Xorg-X11), but not anymore. The other recommended method is to set the acceleration to a fractional value, e.g.

$ xset m 1/2 1

This doesn't do anything on my computer either. It seems the lowest the actual acceleration will be is 1/1, even though "xet q" displays the fractional value I entered. Any ideas? It seems someone would have fixed this obviously buggy feature by now, but apparently not! FWIW, the mouse moves at what feels to be the correct rate in Windows on the same computer, at about half the speed it moves in Linux.

Thanks,
Jonathan