2007 Feb 01 20:34

Re: [vox-tech] FQDN

Richard Crawford wrote:
I'm finding that quite a lot of email I send from my server at home is being bounced by various services because my server does not have a "Fully Qualified Domain Name". I'm not certain, however, how to go ahead and set this up. I have a static IP address, and an account at dyndns.org that points to it (stonegoose.homelinux.net), but beyond that I'm a bit confused. My Googling indicates that this would be easier to set up if I had an actual domain name that pointed to my server, but I don't.

Anyone got any advice for me on this apparently basic issue?
The way I deal with this is to configure my SMTP server to use my ISP's SMTP server as a smart host. So my emails get routed from my server, to my ISP's server, and then out to the Net. Since receiving SMTP servers see the sending server as belonging to my ISP, my messages don't get rejected.

Google on "smart host" and your MTA's name for more details.

HTH,

DR