2007 Jan 24 21:02

Re: [vox-tech] Multiple displays and graphics cards

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 07:56:50AM -0800, John Wojnaroski wrote:

> Mark K. Kim wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 11:15:34PM -0800, John Wojnaroski wrote:
> >
> >>so after logging in via ssh, starting the program(s) is a no-brainer,
> >>but I'm puzzling over how to direct the output to a specific display.
[snip]
> >	export DISPLAY=<ip>:0.0   # 0.0 is first screen
> >	xclock &
> >	export DISPLAY=<ip>:0.1   # 0.1 is second screen
> >	xclock &
> >
> >	export DISPLAY=<ip>:0.0   # 0.0 is first screen
> >	xclock &
> >	export DISPLAY=<ip>:1.0   # 1.0 is second screen
> >	xclock &
> >
> >	xclock -geometry +0+0 &   # +0+0 is top-left of screen
> >	xclock -geometry -0+0 &   # -0+0 is top-right of screen
[snip]
> I played with the export option a bit late last night as you noted above
> but nothing worked. OTH I was pretty tired.. I'll give it another go today.
>
> Do you have to do anything with the xhost list; something like "xhost
> +127.0.0.1" or "xhost "ip of remote machine"?

I didn't see that you were using ssh.  That adds some interesting touch
to the problem.

Try it on your local system first.  That way you can just try:

  export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
  export DISPLAY=localhost:0.1
  export DISPLAY=localhost:1.1
  xclock -geometry +0+0
  xclock -geometry -0+0

to figure out which option you should use to place the window on the
screen you desire.  After that we'll figure out how to make it work over
the remote connection.

-Mark