2007 Jan 22 19:00

Re: [vox-tech] [OT] MS Windows nice

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
1. Is there a cron for Windows? I would like to run something like:

cd /path/to/application
ant create.reference.data

before coming into work.

Look up the command "at". I think if you run "at help" on the command line, it'll help you out.

2. Is there a nice for Windows?

I don't think the ref data is built any faster when it has full
control of my system. I really would like to read digg.com while
the data is being built. Is there a way to nice a process in Windows?

MS discourages people from playing around with process priorities because, in my experience, it is easy for processes to get CPU starved or to hog the CPU - not a lot of subtlety in the scheduler, I think. Better to just run it when you're not around.

My guess is that you're killing the disk, writing tons of data as fast as you can pull it over a gigabit ethernet - if that's the case, and you need to be able to use the computer meanwhile, you could always add a sleep() call (or Java equivalent) to wait a little while after each write to disk. Also look at how much data you're gathering before each write - maybe it'll help Windows if you build a larger buffer of binary data and do fewer, larger writes... just a thought.

-Harold