2007 Jan 22 17:51

Re: [vox-tech] [OT] MS Windows nice

At 07:28 AM 1/22/2007, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

I'm developing a Java application that needs a ton of economic data from an
Oracle db.  The query takes a long time to do, so instead of getting the
data from Oracle, the app uses a binary file of "reference data".

The ref data is created once every morning.  Takes betweeen 2 and 15 min to
create.  Basically, all the economic data is downloaded and pumped into a
binary file.  This file is used by the app, rather than direct querying.

During the ref file creation, my computer pretty much locks up.  I can't do
much of anything.  Windows has a hard time being a multi-tasking OS.

So, two questions:

1. Is there a cron for Windows?  I would like to run something like:

      cd /path/to/application
      ant create.reference.data

   before coming into work.
Yes, use schtasks.

2. Is there a nice for Windows?
Yes, use:
start /<priority> <program>
See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/191771/en-us? for more information.

      I don't think the ref data is built any faster when it has full
      control of my system.  I really would like to read digg.com while
      the data is being built.  Is there a way to nice a process in Windows?

Thanks!
Peter

Regards...

        ...leo