2007 Jan 18 20:12

Re: [vox-tech] blown power supply = fried MB and HDs

Re: [vox-tech] blown power supply = fried MB and HDs

Bill Broadley wrote:
Jonathan Stickel wrote:
Anyway, I am wondering if there is still any hope in recovering the data on the hard drive. From what I can tell, the drive is not even spinning
There is no fuse that I know of, and if it's not even trying it sounds pretty
bad.

up. The bios tries to detect it, but it times out. My guess is that the drive platters are OK, but the circuitry to run the drive is damaged in some way. Perhaps just the power circuit is bad. Is there anything I can try? I know I could send the drive out to a recovery service to the tune of several hundred dollars, but my data isn't worth that much; just sentimental stuff and a huge inconvenience
If it's worth it to you I'd buy as exact a replacement drive as humanly
possible, ideally the same company and size disk.  Google or ebay for
older drives if the normal channels don't have them.  Then transplant
the entire motherboard (right up to the leads that power the motor and
head).  It's a fairly simple operation on most disks... torx drivers
are often required (but cheap).  I've done this successfully once or twice,
and unsuccessfully at least once.

If it works definitely get the info off immediately in a most important
first kind of method.  Definitely do not power cycle or reboot after the
drive works.

We will check into this. Thanks to all who responded with sympathy and suggestions! I'll report back if we have any luck.

Regards,
Jonathan