2007 Jan 18 17:31

Re: [vox-tech] Nifty macro expansion bug

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 04:14:22PM -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> So at work, a coworker noticed an issue with the following code:
>
>   for (i = 0; i < n; i++)
>     myFREE(foo[i]);
>
> which went away when he wrapped it in braces:
>
>   for (i = 0; i < n; i++)
>   {
>     myFREE(foo[i]);
>   }
>
> Figured maybe it was a weird compiler bug.  Being author of the myFREE()
> code -- which happens to be a macro -- I realized immediately what I did
> wrong.  (And continue to be annoyed with C syntax ;) )
>
> See, myFREE() is actually a macro that looks like this:
>
>   #define myFREE(x) if ((x) != NULL) FREE(x); x = NULL;
>
> Two statements... hence the need for {} around the call to the macro.
> (Or, more sensibly, including {}s around what the macro expands to.)
>
> That was a neat catch. :)

I believe the standard way of doing macros in the linux kernel is to use a
bogus do-while, ie:

#define CRASHMACHINE() do { laughtAtUser(); crashMachine(); } while(0);

that way, any expansion like:

if(completelyRandomCondition())
	CRASHMACHINE();

doesn't end up being expanded as:

if(completelyRandomCondition())
	laughAtUser(); crashMachine();

	               ^ oops, outside of if scope

but as

if(completelyRandomCondition())
	do ( laughAtUser(); crashMachine(); } while(0);

which will execute once and only once.

I saw a good post on this once, but I can't really remember where.

-Gabe