2007 Jan 10 20:31

Re: [vox-tech] pl/pgsql question: dynamic access to record.column

Re: [vox-tech] pl/pgsql question: dynamic access to record.column

Dylan Beaudette wrote:
Hi,

I am learning how to use PL/PGSQL and have come upon something that I just don't seem to be able to solve on my own.
I have a function, which takes a column name as an argument. A FOR loop iterates over rows, using a RECORD datatype to store each iteration of the loop.
If I hard-code in a column name into some calculation, things work fine. However, I cannot seem to figure out how to _dynamically_ access a column from a RECORD datatype:
My recommendation is... DON'T. SQL is very inefficient that way.

Instead of setting up your tables with a bunch of columns you need to
iterate over, set up one additional column that contains the "index" for
whatever you were iterating over by columns. and have a "values" column
to hold the data.