2007 Jan 10 20:31

Re: [vox-tech] Apple & Linux

Matin Hashemi wrote:
Thanks for the detailed information..... I "thought" these virtual machines (Parallels, VMWare, etc) work a lot slower. A few years ago I used VMWare on my 800MHz AMD-based PC to write/run a few small programming class projects and it was like 20X slower than when I installed Fedora as a secondary OS. But I guess the world has changed a lot :-) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanderpool

I'm sure there is still some performance penalty. You said you are using those softwares; How much slower is it when you run some Win/Linux application in VMWare comparing to when you run it in a real Win/Linux OS? like 10%? it would be awesome then.....
Another option people haven't mentioned is fink. The fink project provides many Free / Open Source Software (FOSS) programs for Mac OS X, so you would not really need the version compiled for Linux. It uses Debian's apt-get, which makes installing additional software very easy. Get this and install the X server from the OS X CD/DVD and enjoy a Unixy world.

http://fink.sourceforge.net/

I've enjoyed using Q (the OS X version of QEMU), which is a free virtualization engine. Although officially alpha software, I've used it to run Solaris, Plan 9, Linux, Windows, BSD and FreeDos under OS X. Based on the documentation, it does not use the kqemu accelerator, so the performance is "about a 500Mhz PC in x86-on-x86 emulation." If you want better performance, I guess you'll need to buy one of the other products you've mentioned.

http://www.kju-app.org/kju/