January 6: Social gathering
2007 Jan 04 11:50

Re: [vox-tech] AVG Anti-Virus for Linux

Bob Scofield wrote:

I downloaded the AVG Free anti-virus program for my wife's Windows computer, and I was surprised to see a free anti-virus program for Linux here:

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5

This free program is an rpm. You can buy a commercial AVG program and get it as an rpm, deb file or tar ball.

Is anybody using AVG? I know that there have been several discussions on this list about Linux and viruses. The conclusion always seems to be that viruses have not been a problem for Linux. So I am guessing that most people here would not think it necessary or important to use AVG.

Bob

Bob, I've been using the free AVG version on Windows for some time, with excellent results.

As far as the Linux version, I , too, was under the impression that virus protection was a non-issue
with Linux.

Jim