Re: [vox-tech] failing hard drive...

Henry House wrote:
På 2006-12-08, skrev Rod Roark:
On Friday 08 December 2006 11:52, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
So I must have bad sectors somewhere in the physical region of the first partition. Will this problem get worse and propagate to my other partitions?
Um, yeah.  Back up anything you care about *immediately* and get a
replacement drive ASAP.

Most currently manufactured drives are quite good.  I've had good luck
reliability-wise with Seagate.
Jonathan: if it were my drive, I would not trust it to store anything
important ever again. As for new drives, I have experienced hardware
failures with every brand I've tried, with the exception of expensive
SCSI drives.  Assuming that you want to stick with ATA hardware, I've
heard from Ryan Castelluci that Seagates drives are the best bet for
reliability.

I agree(Seagate) from experience and the fact that they have 5 year warranties instead of the standard 3.

Once you get backed up, for kicks run some things like testdisk in linux to probe around your old drive. I'm sure there are some other sector testing utilities, just to give an idea about how bad the drive is.

Alex