Re: [vox-tech] Slow pdf printing

På 2006-12-07, skrev Alex Mandel:
[...]
> Well, neither. I have foomatic installed and I assume that the Ubuntu
> GUI takes advantage of this as its an "official" component.

I believe that actually foomatic is only used if you install the printer
queue via foomatic (either using foomatic-configure on the CLI or
foomatic-gui).

> The driver is actually from brother, its the OS 9 ppd file. When I got
> the printer 2 years ago this was the only driver.  It turns out I had
> some sort of ghostscript pre-filter set and removing this seems to
> help and I remember at some point I tweaked with the spooling between
> straight to printer or pre on the computer, but I don't see this in
> the GUI and I must have done it via CLI can anyone remind me what I
> might have done to check and adjust these settings. Likely a cupsys
> command?

Probably lpadmin is what you are looking for. You can also edit
/etc/cups/printers.conf by hand if you are careful.

On a side note, I am not impressed with the robustness of Cups. I'm
strongly considering going back to lprng one of these days, because Cups
frequently loses print jobs and mysteriously fails to honor my chosen
duplex settings with one printer; setting up a customized input filter
is also a pain while it is fairly straightforward in in lprng once you
grok the format of /etc/printcap.

--
Henry House
+1 530 753 3361 ext. 13