[vox-tech] [OT] Com port hacking dumb device

[vox-tech] [OT] Com port hacking dumb device

So I have this device a TrailMaster TM1550, it a remote camera station triggered by infrared. It store events(trips of the IR beam) to some sort of solid state memory. They then give you a stereo headset jack that plugs into the device and serial cable on the other end to download the data.

I happen to have a data downloader from them, but it doesn't seem to work. I also have windows software that allows you to download and that does work. But what I really want is to make a PDA download the data so the I don't have to bring each device back to the office to get data.
I have the proper cabling to make it all connect but I think I need to send the device a signal to tell it I'm ready to receive data.
I also have a serial port logger application loaded on the PDA, and that works with a GPS unit so it should work for this too.

1.How do I figure out what that signal needs to be.
2.What tool do I need to send such a signal.

For now the goal is a PPC with windows mobile 2003, but I do have the option of a IPAQ with familiar linux on it, although I can only transfer to that device via flashcard shuffling at the moment.

Have fun,
Alex