2006 Nov 18 22:25

Re: [vox-tech] apache2: NameVirtualHost and VirtualHost

On Sat, 2006-11-18 at 22:05 -0800, Micah Cowan wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 00:31 -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > Why is the NameVirtualHost directive necessary and how do I use it?

> I imagine one might want to add *:443 for virtual hosts on the https
> ports.
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/name-based.html

Actually, at the start of that page, you may notice: "Name-based virtual
hosting cannot be used with SSL secure servers because of the nature of
the SSL protocol." However:

  1. It goes on to say a couple paragraphs later that if you plan to use
named virtual hosts with SSL, you should add the port to the
NamedVirtualHost directive (as I mentioned).
  2. That phrase appears in the "when to use IP vs. Named virtual
hosts".

Because of this, I think what is meant by the phrase is not that
you /can't/ use it with SSL, but that doing so gives up the server
authentication part of the security that SSL offers, leaving just the
encryption benefits.

--
Micah J. Cowan
http://micah.cowan.name/