January 6: Social gathering
2006 Nov 18 10:30

Re: [vox-tech] Setting the font in gvim (Vim with GUI)

On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 03:40:09PM -0800, Henry House wrote:
> I'm trying to set the font in my .gvimrc for gvim (Vim with GTK
> interface). One of the neat things about gvim is that it supports using
> truetype unicode fonts, such as Bitstream Vera. I can set the font
> manually in a gvim session using ':set guifont=*', then choosing the
> font in the dialog box. After that, I can retrieve the font chosen using
> ':set guifont', prints 'guifont=Bitstream Vera Sans Mono 18' (for
> example). Typing in 'set guifont=Bitstream Vera Sans Mono 18' has no
> does not work (the error suggests that the spaces are confusing the
> command where to break the arguments). That makes some sense. But the
> logical variation 'set guifont="Bitstream Vera Sans Mono 18"' does not
> work either: it in fact resets the font to the default value. Placing
> that same command line in .vimrc or .gvimrc has no effect. Can anyone
> suggest a solution to my frustration?

Escape the spaces with a backslash:

My .gvimrc contains:

if has("gui_gtk2")
   set guifont=Monospace\ 8
else
   set guifont=-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed-*-*-120-*-*-c-*-iso10646-1
endif

function Kprinter()
   call system('kprinter ' . v:fname_in)
   call delete(v:fname_in)
   return v:shell_error
endfunc

The Kprinter function is kinda cool. I run :set printexpr=Kprinter()
and then when I use the :hardcopy (:ha) command, I get a proper print
dialog box.

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/