2006 Nov 03 15:21

[vox-tech] update: at my wit's end

Well, I thought I would give my network problem one last shot, so I
installed Ubuntu, which I've been meaning to try anyway.  Well, guess
what!  Networking works!  So, Ubuntu came through where Fedora Core 5,
Mandriva and Knoppix all failed.  (Oddly, even Ubuntu failed in its live
CD version.)

Concerning the suggestion that I try turning off IPv6, that apparently
would not have worked, because even under Ubuntu, the error message on
IPv6 still appears (in the output of dmesg).

Dan, I don't think the problem was in MAC addresses.  I certainly don't
exclude any, and remember, the new machine did do networking fine under
Windows.

I still think the idea of slowing down the NIC is intriguing.  As I
said, I never got that far, and again, the machine did work with
Windows, but it's still a possibility.

Thanks again, everyone.

Norm