2006 Sep 28 10:19

Re: [vox-tech] date question

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 11:07:35AM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> This works:
>
>    $ /bin/date +'%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M'
>    2006-09-28-11-05
>
> This doesn't:
>
>    $ date +'%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M'
>    date: extra operand `+%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M'
>    Try `date --help' for more information.
>
> Yet, "/bin/date" is the thing I'm running when using an unqualified path:
>
>    $ which date
>    /bin/date
>
> If /bin/date is what I'm running, why doesn't this work unless I specifiy
> "/bin/date"?

in a bourne shell, which is /usr/bin/which, which knows nothing about
shell builtins, shell functions, or shell aliases.

to find out what you're actually running from your shell, use the
"type" command, which is a bourne shell builtin.

(which *is* a csh builtin)

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/
I've added a signing subkey to my GPG key. Please update your keyring.