January 6: Social gathering
2006 Sep 28 10:02

Re: [vox-tech] date question

On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 08:44 -0700, jim stockford wrote:
> which distro and what release?
> $  # suggests BASH, generally sh is a link to bash,
>      # is there a /bin/sh program for real, not just a symlink?

Well, it'd be hubris to call a program simply "sh", as if it were /the/
sh... but originally, sh was a program in its own right (the original
Bourne shell).

And while sh is almost always a link, it won't necessarily be to bash. I
think most folks on this list will be surprised to learn that Ubuntu
6.10 (Edgy Eft) will have /bin/sh symlinked to /bin/dash. This has
resulted in a need to fix a variety of broken Makefiles that assumed
bash extensions were available in /bin/sh, but it has also made dramatic
differences in boot time and other important areas.

IIRC, ash was also a popular sh for some folks. And, of course, there
are those that have it pointed at the Korn shell, which is, after all, a
POSIX-compliant shell.

-Micah