2006 Sep 28 08:12

Re: [vox-tech] handling urls in Thunderbird on Kubuntu

Re: [vox-tech] handling urls in Thunderbird on Kubuntu

Micah J. Cowan wrote:
On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 06:48:03PM -0700, Dave Margolis wrote:
Micah J. Cowan wrote:
 - What is the output of "namei x-www-browser"?
$ namei x-www-browser
f: x-www-browser
  ? x-www-browser - No such file or directory (2)

If x-www-browser appears to point at conquerer, you'll want to do a:
  sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
Did that. Choose /usr/bin/firefox

That didn't change the output of "namei x-www-browser" but it did fix the problem. Now I'm reading some man pages to figure out what the hell I just did.
My fault, that should've been "namei /usr/bin/x-www-browser".
Cool. That's now telling me about firefox. I assume it would have said konqueror if I ran it a minute ago.

The Debian alternatives system: keeps some symlinks for generic binaries
around, and provides a system to point them at your favorite apps. So,
for example, Ubuntu systems ship with /usr/bin/editor pointing at
/usr/bin/nano. I'm not much for nano, and prefer vim, so I immediately
run "sudo update-alternatives --set x-www-browser /usr/bin/vim".
I assume you mean "editor" here - I got it now.

FWIW, you can also point cc at things other than gcc. :-)

Have a look at /etc/alternatives to see what symlinks exist there.
/usr/bin/x-www-browser actually points at
/etc/alternatives/x-www-browser, which in turn now points at
/usr/bin/firefox.

Makes lots of sense.  Thanks for the solution and the extra info.