2006 Sep 25 13:52

Re: [vox-tech] PHP and XML or python and XML ....

Re: [vox-tech] PHP and XML or python and XML ....

Dylan Beaudette wrote:
hi everyone,

I am looking for a good way to export records from a series of tables stored in a RDBMS. currently I am entering data into this system via a PHP-driven web-interface. I would like to be able to export data from the database into a common, parseable format (XML) .
I am struggling with the best approach to dynamically creating XML from the results of a query.
so far I have played around with doing the work in PHP with XML_fastcreate (http://pear.php.net/package/XML_FastCreate) ... but am having some difficulties. Now I am considering relegating all import/export operations to a python script, so I do not have to deal with web-browser issues at all.
Does anyone have any suggestions for semi-automated creation of XML via python, based on the results of a DB query ?

For some background: I am trying to come up with a convenient, intermediate format for storing complex data- which will eventually all end up in a DB. However several people will potentially be generating data, and some without network access- thus the need for a transportable intermediate file.

any thoughts / input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Another option to consider maybe pipe the data into an SQLite database instead of XML. That way your data is human readable while in transport.

Other than that here's everything you ever wanted to know about PyXML
http://pyxml.sourceforge.net/topics/howto/xml-howto.html

Alex