2006 Sep 25 11:41

Re: [vox-tech] PHP and XML or python and XML ....

On Monday 25 September 2006 12:56, Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> hi everyone,
>
> I am looking for a good way to export records from a series of tables
> stored in a RDBMS. currently I am entering data into this system via
> a PHP-driven web-interface. I would like to be able to export data
> from the database into a common, parseable format (XML) .
>
> I am struggling with the best approach to dynamically creating XML
> from the results of a query.
>
> so far I have played around with doing the work in PHP with
> XML_fastcreate (http://pear.php.net/package/XML_FastCreate) ... but
> am having some difficulties. Now I am considering relegating all
> import/export operations to a python script, so I do not have to deal
> with  web-browser issues at all.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for semi-automated creation of XML
> via python, based on the results of a DB query ?
>

> For some background: I am trying to come up with a convenient,
> intermediate format for storing complex data- which will eventually
> all end up in a DB. However several people will potentially be
> generating data, and some without network access- thus the need for a
> transportable intermediate file.
>
> any thoughts / input would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know python, but I've done this using Java and JDom. The
database structure that it originally operated on is entirely obsolete,
but I still have the code hanging around. I can send it to you off-list
if you would like.

REXML in Ruby can also handle this (although I've never done it).

I would expect that any DOM implementation (such as PyXML) should be
able to handle this for python.

--Ken Bloom

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/