2006 Sep 20 00:19

Re: [vox-tech] best debian kernel package

Re: [vox-tech] best debian kernel package

Dylan Beaudette wrote:
hi,

just got a dual dual-code opteron machine, and wondering which debian package to install...

would the linux-image-2.6.16-2-k7-smp package run this machine in 32bit mode? i don't really want to run it in 64bit mode yet.

anyone have any experience with this hardware on debian ?
thanks!

I wish I had experience with Dual Opterons. Looking at the K7 info I'd say try it, but I've seen a few people who can't get it to work, someone did suggest this in a forum I looked at so you can try it and see if it works.

I wouldn't shy away from the 64bit though, I've been running Ubuntu with amd64-k8 for almost 2 years now and it's plenty stable. The trick is for some programs where 32bit is the only thing available and I don't feeling like compiling it myself I run a 32bit install in a chroot folder.
It's a gamers trick to run wine and other 32bit only stuff:
http://cedegawiki.sweetleafstudios.com/index.php?title=Ubuntu

I can attest that I do run many things this way while I wait for 64bit packages to come out. It's pretty easy to link it so it launches from you normal menus or command line.

Alex