2006 Sep 11 10:23

Re: [vox-tech] Scanner software recomendation

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 08:07:30AM -0700, Donald G. McGahan wrote:
> Looking for opinions on software/driver for scanner (Canon LiDE50). I'm running Xubuntu (Xfce desktop) and would like to keep with the desktops responsivness by avoiding, if possable, loading up a bunch of KDE and Gnome libraries.  Installing XSANE, but was interested if there are software options or tricks to create PDF files directly from a scan simular to what Adobe Acrobat Professional does for me on the XP machine?
>
> Thoughts and opinions?

Well, I'd personally do it _with_ KDE, but that's since I'm running it
to begin with.  There's a nice SANE frontend in KDE, and KDE has built-in
"Print to PDF" options.  (You've gotta download and install some Open Source
software to be able to do that on Windows. :^) )

You could probably use a mix of XYZtops and pstopdf in a script to convert
something you get from a SANE frontend into a PDF file.

bill@newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/