2006 Sep 08 14:37

Re: [vox-tech] Re: wifi

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 10:40:16PM -0700, Jim George wrote:
> The people that are in charge of the Farmers Market state that all non profit
> venues shall only be on the north side.  Guess we will have to set up camp at
> the tan metal structure located at the NE corner of Central Park (CP).
>
> I take it that you were out there with a laptop?
>
> I have to find out what the signal strength is by the tan metal structure and
> btw...what the heck is that thing?  It's not a garbage can.
>
> Alex, you mention a big oak tree.  Tell me that it isn't by our mysterious tan
> metal object, is it?

Worst case scenario, no need to sweat it over network access.
If you have lots of goodies installed on the box for people to play with,
they'll enjoy it.  (Think:  Gimp, Openoffice, Tux Paint ;^) )

I've often found that network access at events just makes the geekier people
sit and stare at their laptop, rather than actually _interact_ with the
people who are walking by and looking at our booth -- the WHOLE REASON WE
ARE THERE. :^)

I'd focus on making sure we've got a box, or a laptop set up that people
can poke at.  Speakers for playing (not too loudly) some mellow music might
be cool, too.  (And, you know, speakers are good for TUx Paint, too ;^) )