2006 Sep 07 21:00

[vox-tech] audio - soundcard to stereo

hi all,

i recently hooked up the speaker output on my soundcard to my livingroom
stereo amplifier.  the result, as they say in french, sucks big time.

the sound is tinny and hollow.  it also distorts unless the computer mixer
is turned down way low.  the music sounds better on my cheap computer
speakers than my stereo speaker cabinets.

from a long time ago, i recall doing a simple minded calculation in a
circuits class that maximizes the power transfer from a source to the load.
the result of that calculation is that the source impedance (as viewed from
the "outside") must match the load impedance (as viewed by the source).
however, i don't see how this applies since it's the sound quality of the
music, not the volume, which seems to be suffering (and i think power
transfer equates to volume here?  wrong assumption?)

i really, really, really want to be able to send music from my computer to
my stereo.  what needs to happen to make it "work" well?

thanks,
pete

--
How VBA rounds a number depends on the number's internal representation.
You cannot always predict how it will round when the rounding digit is 5.

Peter Jay Salzman, email: p@dirac.org web: http://www.dirac.org/p