2006 Sep 04 22:05

Re: [vox-tech] PHP / CURL

Thanks Dave...

I have a RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 machine on which I installed:
curl 7.15.5 : with SSL
php 4.4.4 : with curl and command line interface

Unfortunately, the problem is a very basic one!  I can't even read a regular html webpage frpm an http server, let alone the https stuff.  For example:

$LOGINURL = "www.yahoo.com"; //or any other http webpage
$agent = "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax)";
$ch = curl_init();
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL,$LOGINURL);
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_USERAGENT, $agent);
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);
$result = curl_exec ($ch);
curl_close ($ch);
print   $result;

I save the above lines in a test.php file and then I type this on linux command line:
> php -f test.php
or
> php test.php

both just print the content of the .php file (the above lines!) instead of the html webpage!!!!!!  and I don't know what's wrong in here; that should be a small bug or a user mistake or something like that....

Would you give me a sample php/curl code and the necessary steps for running it on a linux command line? a simple one, something that does the same thing as "wget www.yahoo.com " for example.

Thanks!

On 9/4/06, Dave Margolis <dave@silogram.net> wrote:

On Sep 1, 2006, at 10:35 AM, serendipitu serendipitu wrote:

> I need to READ some data from that page without manually loging in
> every 24 hours.

PHP/curl makes this pretty easy (depending on how much energy the
site developers have put into trying to prevent screen-scraping).
Also, any language that has a curl implementation can also do this
(PERL is one that comes to mind).

You need a pretty strong understanding of PHP and a basic
understudying of how HTTP works.  You'll need a webserver that runs
PHP or a local machine with the PHP command line interface
installed.  Then you'll need a script.  That script will take a
series of steps that each represent a login, a link click, a form
submission, or some kind of user interaction with a website.

The process basically works like this:

First you call curl_init() to get things started.

You need to call curl_setopt() any number of times to define what
type of call you're going to make (in this case a series of HTTP
transactions).  These curl_setopt() calls are very similar to the
command line switches you'd throw at the command line version of curl.

Then you finish up with a curl_exec() and a curl_close().

It took me a lot of ready and trial and error to figure this all
out.  I'd start here: http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.curl.php

Every site is different, and it's difficult to tell you what to do
without having a half.com account.

Dave