2006 Sep 04 14:12

[vox-tech] Boot problem

Hi,

Before posting to one of the linux forums, thought I might give it a try here, the response here is so much faster and better.

Building a new kernel 2.6.10 to set up my laptop for wifi. Linux version is debian sarge (stable). The install was pretty much "out-of-the-box" using the "Desktop" packages option

At boot the following msg occurs , followed by the usual "kernel panic"

"modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.10/modules.dep: No such file or directory"

some data and info follows:

rampart:/# cd /lib/modules/2.6.10
rampart:/lib/modules/2.6.10# ls
build modules.alias modules.dep modules.inputmap modules.pcimap modules.usbmap
kernel modules.ccwmap modules.ieee1394map modules.isapnpmap modules.symbols source
rampart:/lib/modules/2.6.10#

indicates the modules have been built and installed (listing of kernel directory omitted for brevity)
symlinks build and source point to the correct linux directory, although I don't believe this is an issue at boot time

In the kernel ramdisk and initrd are enabled in block device section of .config

Something in /etc/modules.conf ?? (understand this file is generated automatically and not to be hand edited)
Kind of stumped. never had this problem building kernels in the past.

Any thoughts or suggestions where to look would be appreciated

Thanks
John W.