January 6: Social gathering
2006 Sep 05 17:02

[vox-tech] 10 year old monitor finally died

[vox-tech] 10 year old monitor finally died

I knew it was going but thought I had a little bit more time. Bought new monitor (Samsung syncmaster 203b) and am worried about starting debian on old monitor settings. Will things auto detect? How bout the nvidia video card I just installed?

If no auto detect can I edit some files w/o booting into kde first? I do know what the horizontal and vertical refresh rates are so I'm not going into this blind.

I would usually just wipe out my hard drive but I have gotton so very far with my wifi card and kernel update (2.6). There should be an easy way but alas, I am linux newb. Can someone give me some pointers?

Funny, I hooked up my monitor, added a different video card, used my wife's hard drive to go into another os and dam if the hdd didn't start clicking loud. I also noticed very low performance as well. So I did what any mechanic would do. Took it out and tapped on the bottom side of it (dockable drive makes this very easy to do). Installed and rebooted...wala, fixed it. Wonder if there is some sort of mainatenance that should be done to these things such as lubricating the moving parts or cleaning, etc, etc, etc.

Going to google for answers. Been doing that a lot lately.

Thanx,

Jimbo