2006 Sep 03 07:39

Re: [vox-tech] wireless

On Saturday 02 September 2006 07:20 pm, Ken Bloom wrote:
> Ick ick ick. udev loads ndiswrapper for me automatically

What is udev?  Is it a command used in a terminal?

> (I think -- if
> not, then ndiswrapper is listed in /etc/modules)

I looked for etc/modules but it is non existence.

> Then I just configure the wireless card in /etc/network/interfaces like
> any other network interface. Well not quite -- I have different
> interface names for different networks e.g. "ling" for my research lab,
> and then to connect I type "ifup wlan0=ling".

I want this to autoboot upon start up of system.  I figured out how to
manually do this with what I have but man, what a hassle!  This is what I
have so far:

Upon boot I noticed a msg "failed getting wifi interface flag no such device".
Once kde is up and running kwifimanager has no signal and blinks.
I proceed to a terminal, su to root, line in ipconfig wlan0 down and presto,
kwifimanager comes up green, 98 signal strength.  I check my browser and no
connection.  I line in dhclient wlan0 and get No DHCPOFFERS received.  I then
line in iwconfig wlan0 essid linksys [ENTER] and then repeat line in dhclient
wlan0 in which I get:

sit0: unknown hardware address type 776
sit0: unknown hardware address type 776
Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:12:17:8e:17:22
Sending on   LPF/wlan0/00:12:17:8e:17:22
Sending on   Socket/fallback/fallback-net
DHCPREQUEST on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPREQUEST on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPNAK from 192.168.1.1
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 4
DHCPOFFER from 192.168.1.1
DHCPREQUEST on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPACK from 192.168.1.1
bound to 192.168.1.32 -- renewal in 43200 seconds.

Gold.  I can now google till my eyes pop out.  Such a hassle.  I know that if
I really wanted to I can make these exact things run as if I was typing them
in but this backward engeering is soo dam time cosuming to research.

I am a newbie but nonetheless I can read and research.  This is why I have
gotton this far.  For the most part I'm just copying what web pages tell me
to do  and have gotton dam lucky.

> I've posted about this before. See:

Read your imput but with my compter knowledge it didn't get me closer to my
autoboot of wifi.  It did make me think that if I edit
the /etc/network/interfaces  I can do both load wifi and prohibit eth0:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto wlan0-wifi
iface wlan0-wifi inet dhcp
  wireless-essid linksys

I can  understand that some people with extensive computer knowledge don't
have the patients for newbs

I will perservere.

Jimbo