2006 Sep 04 14:38

Re: [vox-tech] wireless

On Saturday 02 September 2006 19:24, Jim George wrote:
> I have added a wireless card and have got it to work...right now.
>
> This web page
> http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/DebianNoCompil
>es  has really helped me out however it was difficult for me to get as
> far as I have. I kept fighting reboot errors in which eth0 was still
> activated and no signs of wlan0.
>
> Close to the bottom of the said web page it states
>
> "Tame this none-standard beast
> If you want to make bringing up your wireless easy (this guide
> doesn't configure the ndiswrapper in a way that can be auto-loaded
> via normal means) dump the following in a text file and name it
> "loadwireless.sh". (really you can name it anything you want, just
> keep the .sh at the end) Make sure to put your ssid in place of
> "yourssidgoeshere"
>
> #!/bin/sh
> ifdown eth0
> insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc/ndiswrapper.ko
> sleep 3
> iwconfig wlan0 essid yourssidgoeshere
>
> chmod it executable and run it as root to bring your wireless up"
>
> Uhuh.  How do you chmod it executable?  I thought chmod was only for
> permissions?
>
> I would oh so like this thing to auto load w/o conflicts w/ etho (my
> lan).  I am soooo tired of googling that my eyes hurt.
>
> Is this easy or is there an easier way.
>
> Cheers, and by the way, I am sending this wireless!!!  Hello linux!

Ick ick ick. udev loads ndiswrapper for me automatically (I think -- if
not, then ndiswrapper is listed in /etc/modules)

Then I just configure the wireless card in /etc/network/interfaces like
any other network interface. Well not quite -- I have different
interface names for different networks e.g. "ling" for my research lab,
and then to connect I type "ifup wlan0=ling".

I've posted about this before. See:

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/