2006 Sep 01 21:41

Re: [vox-tech] Battery Problem?

I have tested the switch on another pc. Found out that it is a momentaty switch (continuity exists only when holding down the switch). With that it appears that it is just a signal generator.

If making the pc come on by pushing the button a few more times, I would focus on the button. Peter is right in which it just might be dirty.

The switch can easily be checked by jumpering the two switch wires together momentarily (.5 to 1 sec). If it works then it is definately caused by too much resistance in the switch. Easy. If it is a bad switch you might try cleaning the internal contacts but it might be cost/time effective to just get a switch from radio shack.

Jimbo
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Scofield" <scofield@omsoft.com>
To: "LUGOD Tech" <vox-tech@lists.lugod.org>
Sent: Friday, September 01, 2006 7:39 AM
Subject: [vox-tech] Battery Problem?

My wife says she's having a problem starting her computer. She says that when
she pushes the start button she hears the sound of the computer starting, but
then the computer does not turn on when she releases the button. She has to
try pushing the button a few more times before she can get the computer to
come on.

Is this the battery going out, or is it a problem with the power supply?

Here's one more question. In the old days I remember making some kind of a
Norton Antivirus backup floppy for the CMOS data so that if you replaced a
battery your could replace your CMOS data. But I don't do that anymore. So
if you replace the battery, what do you do about the CMOS?

The computer we're talking about was built in 1997. The battery has never
been replaced.

Thank you.

Bob