January 6: Social gathering
2006 Aug 31 15:13

[vox-tech] spam current events

i'm getting hammered with email containing text designed to trick bayesian
filters.  unfortunately, it appears to be quite successful in that endeavor.
the email text is nonsensical, however the email has a gif image attachment.

at first, the gif was always named "image001.gif", and i was able to REJECT
such emails when Postfix detected a gif attachment named "image001.gif".
but whoever is sending this got smarter and now the gif file is named all
kinds of things.

i'm not quite sure how to filter these things anymore other than to REJECT
all gif attachments, which I'd prefer not to do if i can help it..

the gif image itself is mostly white with a few colored "threads" here and
there.  i certainly don't see any text, so i'm not quite sure what their
purpose is.  perhaps it's some kind of virus?

anyone else seeing these things?  i'm getting them a few times a day now.

pete

--
The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a
digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the

Peter Jay Salzman, email: p@dirac.org web: http://www.dirac.org/p