2006 Aug 21 16:37

[vox-tech] dpkg & checkinstall dependency fight

[vox-tech] dpkg & checkinstall dependency fight

So I'm doing a bunch of custom work with migrating Zope sites.
No biggy but I'm playing with a lot of versions at once, from source of course, since I don't know how you would get a package manager to play nice here.

I ran into a little snag though.
I built several *.deb using checkinstall and giving them each different program names so they don't override each other.
However after the 1st one which seemed to go just fine, I'm getting an error where dkpg fails because my install is trying to overwrite /usr/bin/pyhton2.3
How do I make checkinstall not include python in it and rather rely on the system to provide it? It's inherently a little odd since Zope does rely on python very heavily for the installation.
I imagine if I just do make install instead that it won't be an issue, but I'm not sure I know how to remove an install done in this manner when I want to clean up later.

Alex