2006 Aug 21 14:19

Re: [vox-tech] dualboot noob question

It's as if you are mirroring me completly:

I too am a gamer and experimenting with Linux (just got into debian, cool bits and knoppix kicks asp!).

I have experimental hard drives that are dockable. I have 2 slots for docks. If I want to experiment, I just turn off my pc, switch off my xp drive (with a key, no doubt), swith on my linux/experimental/whathaveyou drive and wala.

I have used the latest suse 10 distro and have sucessfully had 1 hard drive with win 98 and suse. 98 uses the fat system so I don't know if suse will be doable for the ntfs file system (xp). Suse 10 auto did this dual boot for me gui style when option was selected.

It was cool when I had it set up this way for I could easily configure it to boot either as default with a time out. I configured it to auto boot xp for my wife and if I wanted to play w/ suse all I had to do is select suse under a certain time frame. Easy to use gui interface too.

I have used partition magic to reconfigure partions. Nice program.

Let me know if you would like to try my distro. Just clone your drive before we experiment too much.

Jim

----- Original Message ----- From: "Cylar Z" <cylarz@yahoo.com>
To: <vox-tech@lists.lugod.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 11:29 PM
Subject: [vox-tech] dualboot noob question

Two questions about dual-booting:

1. Is it possible to add a Linux partition to a
computer that's already running Windows XP on a
single-partition drive, without disturbing the
pre-existing Windows installation?

2. If the answer to #1 is "NO" and it is necessary to
repartition the drive, what is the best tool to do so?
Secondly, which OS should be installed first, or does
it matter?

I know MS products suck, but I need to use this
computer as a gaming machine as well as an
experimental Linux box. I suppose I could just add a
second hard drive and physically switch the IDE ribbon
back and forth, but that seems like a lot of hassle.

I found some documents on this on tldp.org, but most
of them are several years old and pre-date newer
filesystems like NTFS, so I was a little afraid to
trust the information.

Thanks in advance.