2006 Aug 09 12:30

Re: SCSI vs IDE (was:Re: [vox-tech] Xen + LVM usage)

Re: SCSI vs IDE (was:Re: [vox-tech] Xen + LVM usage)

Quoting Luke Crawford (lsc@prgmr.com):

[much snipped]

> So far the only SAS/SATA aggrigation tech I've seen in the field is the
> 3ware multi-lane cable that aggrigates 4 SATA cables into one
> semi-propritary cable....

The other vendors' SAS/SATA aggregation technology is on its way.
Parallel SCSI is going to vanish from new hardware much more rapidly
than SATA is overtaking PATA.  I've seen this in the "pipe", as it were,
which is why I hastened to create a SAS on Linux page for my
knowledgebase, to go with the SATA one of longstanding.

And yes, the upcoming SAS HBAs and enclosures definitely will accept
standard SATA nodes.

(Luckily, I'm in a position to sit out the messy transition.)

--
Cheers,                             * Contributing Editor, Linux Gazette *
Rick "U320 RAID1, please" Moen  -*- See the Linux Gazette in its new home: -*-