2006 Aug 01 21:01

Re: [vox-tech] vim: change characters, then dumping in insert mode.

On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 03:43:40PM -0500, Ken Bloom wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 01:18:38PM -0700, Micah J. Cowan wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 03:59:36PM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > > In Vim,
> > >
> > >    ncw
> > >
> > > deletes n words and puts you in insert mode.  Is there a similar construct
> > > for deleting n characters and leaving you in insert mode?
> > >
> > > I'm using the Vim plugin for the Eclipse IDE.  Unfortunately, it doesn't
> > > support visual mode, and something like "ncx" (which doesn't work)
> > > along with "." would be almost as good.
> >
> > ncl will do what you want. So would nxi (same number of characters...).
>
> <n>xi can't be repeated with the . key because it's two commands.

Yeah, I missed the "." part.

> commands like <n>i insert n times, and I would expect <n>cl to do
> similarly even though in reality it doesn't.

Yeah, I do, too. It makes a bit more sense to me to say "change the text
consisting of the next 3 words", then "do `change the next word' 3
times" (which, as you point out, would be wrong anyway).

--
Micah J. Cowan
http://micah.cowan.name/