2006 Aug 01 11:46

[vox-tech] Fwd: Knoppix Questions

Shneor attempted to post the following to vox-tech from an unsubscribed
address, so I'm passing it to the list, and Cc'ing them.  :^)

-bill!

----- Forwarded message from shneor@dcn.davis.ca.us -----

Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 9:09:00 -0700
From: shneor@dcn.davis.ca.us
Subject: Knoppix Questions
To: vox-tech@lists.lugod.org

Hello.
I have a serious problem and I am trying to find out just how much
Knoppix might help in the short term.

Background: I run W2K on my main PC with an IDE hard drive and a USB
drive, both using NTFS. A Couple of weeks ago, as a result of a
foolish decision, my hard drive's mbr was wiped out and as far as the
bios knows, there's no hard drive. W2K won't reinstall.

Enter Knoppix - Lugod handed out Knoppix CDs a couple of years
ago. When I load it my devices work and it reads the data on my USB
drive.

Question: Can I install a Knoppix partition or boot sector on my USB
drive so I can save config info? Can I install Knoppix on the USB
drive so I could run Knoppix from my USB drive, without causing
problems for W2K? Can I make a boot floppy for Knoppix if it is
installed on the USB drive?

Finally, is a more recent version of Knoppix on CD locally available?

Thank you.

Shneor

----- End forwarded message -----