2006 Jul 25 13:23

[vox-tech] debian mess: after dist-upgrade machine does not boot!

[vox-tech] debian mess: after dist-upgrade machine does not boot!

Well damnit.

After doing a couple upgrades, and then moving to X.org, 2.6.16
kernel, and the new NVIDIA drivers, I thought that I was going to be
ok after an aptitude dist-upgrade....

Things were working fine, until I started monkeying around with sound
modules. Somehow KDE was breaking the snd-intel8x0 kernel module...
but this is a side story. After getting fed-up with the sound issues,
I rebooted the machine. About half-way through the boot sequence, the
message: "Begin: waiting for root file system..." and then nothing.

Fortunately I have an older Knoppix CD, that I am currently using to
boot the machine, and write this email. Everything looks fine on the
HD, but I knoticed one thing. In /boot/grub/menu.lst I see that:

title		Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.16-2-686-smp
root		(hd0,2)
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-2-686-smp root=/dev/hdc3 ro
initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.16-2-686-smp
savedefault
boot

I have a serial-ATA drive in this machine, and since kernel 2.6 this
drive has appeared as a SCSI device. I think that aptitude must have
changed the values in the grub configuration so that:
root=/dev/sda3 ------> root=/dev/hdc3

I am hoping that this is the reason that my machine is not booting. If
so, is there anyway to make aptitude remeber that my root drive should
be on /dev/sda3 ???

Ok. crossing my fingers, and re-booting to see if this fixed things...

Dylan