2006 Jul 06 03:06

Re: [vox-tech] making a new pc

Richard Harke wrote:
On Mon July 17 2006 10:53, Jimbo wrote:
I am compiling a list of items to make a nice computer.  I want to make
this pc so it can also run linux.  The biggest problem I have faced is
making hardware work in linux.

Raid, wireless broadband, dvd  and, most important, high end games is what
this system is being built for.  Buzzwords like dual core, sli and 8.1 want
to be implemented.  Amd and nvidia will be focused on.   I have a 3k budget
so I don't have to scrimp however there is no way that I am going to buy a
$1000 processor.  The one I want cost $600 which gives some indication of
the system that I want to build.

I have suse linux ver. 10 that I have dabbled with.  User friendly for a
mechanic like me but have seen abundance praise about debian.  Don't want
to, nor do I have a need to compile kernals and spend hours tweaking an os
just to make it work.  Will debian do this for me?  Is it packaged like
suse?
The package systems are rather different. SUSE uses RPM (Redhat Package
Manager) while Debian has its own system based on dpkg and apt-get
I used to run SUSE and then about three years ago I switched to Debian.
One thing I like about Debian is it is oriented to the online world. If you have a high speed internet connection, it is very convenient. I always felt that SUSE was more oriented to their CD ROM sets. They do provide some
online updates but I could never get any decent download speed off
their servers.
You didn't say if you are considering 64bit or not. (AMD64 or Intel's EMT)
I have AMD64 on my laptop and my impression is that it was a lot more hassle
to install than the x86 version. (Of course you can just stick the 32bit OS
on your 64bit machine.
As far as Nvidia, I have an Nvidia based video card and installing the
Nvidia proprietary drivers was not hard. You will want the proprietary
drivers to get 3D acceleration for games.

Richard Harke

I've been running 64bit OS on an AMD for 1.5 yrs and only had a few issues come up where software wasn't compiled for my system. There's a neat gamer trick(transgamer.org?) I picked up using deb bootstrap to put a chroot 32bit system on inside my 64 and the using filesystem links to run 32bit apps from my menus or command line.
If you plan to run Wine this is the only way to get a 32bit windows setup going since wine compiled in 64bit will try to run your games as 64bit which they are not.
Another prime example is if I need flash I open the 32bit version of firefox.

Nvidia drivers seem easy enough, I made the mistake of getting an Ati card and it's been a little rough and still doesn't work quite right.

Note, my motherboard has surround sound ability but I've never gotten independent control of the rear speakers, only a clone of the front, but the sub and center seem to work. Board supports up to 7.1 and I'm running 5.1

FYI: I run the debian based Ubuntu
I've heard good things about Gentoo for gaming though, can anyone speak to that?

Most important though, RAM, RAM, RAM - a lot of it, high quality and paired. I've got 4x 512 but wish I had gone 2x 1GB so that I could add another 2x 1GB now.
For gaming i've heard but never concretely read that low latency RAM is best, mines something like 2-2-2-5-2

Alex

PS: Water Cooling?