2006 Jul 06 03:06

[vox-tech] making a new pc

I am compiling a list of items to make a nice computer. I want to make this pc so it can also run linux. The biggest problem I have faced is making hardware work in linux.

Raid, wireless broadband, dvd and, most important, high end games is what this system is being built for. Buzzwords like dual core, sli and 8.1 want to be implemented. Amd and nvidia will be focused on. I have a 3k budget so I don't have to scrimp however there is no way that I am going to buy a $1000 processor. The one I want cost $600 which gives some indication of the system that I want to build.

I have suse linux ver. 10 that I have dabbled with. User friendly for a mechanic like me but have seen abundance praise about debian. Don't want to, nor do I have a need to compile kernals and spend hours tweaking an os just to make it work. Will debian do this for me? Is it packaged like suse?

Don't want to bog this down so I will conclude this now. Any imput from this group is much appreciated.

Jimbo
(I'm not a mechanic; just play one in a computer game :P) _______________________________________________