2006 Jun 29 16:24

Re: [vox-tech] Help with sun keyboard

On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 07:15:54AM -0500, Ken Bloom wrote:
> I'm using a lab full of Sun workstations for the next two weeks, and
> I'm finding the keyboards weird. As someone helpfully pointed out, the
> problem isn't the Sun keyboard, but the keyboards I was trained on.
>
> Ctrl and Caps Lock are swapped, so every time I reach for Ctrl, I hit
> Caps Lock instead. Additionally, Alt is where the windows key "should
> be", and Meta is where the Alt key should be. I'm also having trouble
> with the locations of the ~/` key and the backspace key, so when I
> reach for the backspace key, I end up hitting `.
>
> Does anyone have a keybinding set to map the keys so they're more
> normal? (Either a layout you can send me, or a command that loads a
> layout that's already installed on the system.) The machines are
> running Solaris 9.

I think the attached xmodmap file should do it.

It swaps meta and alt (so that meta is where the windows key can be
found on PC keyboards), it swaps caps lock and control. It moves
escape up next to the function keys, moves backtick and tilde to the
old position of escape (next to the numeric keypad) and expands
backspace to take over the position of the old backtick/tilde key
(which was right above backspace).

I've also been told I may need to move the pipe key, but I didn't take
a look at that yet.

--Ken

remove Lock = Caps_Lock
remove Control = Control_L