January 6: Social gathering
2006 Jun 27 13:46

Re: [vox-tech] rar unrar and non-free package

On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 12:14:41AM -0700, Ryan wrote:
> On Sunday 25 June 2006 11:15 pm, Micah J. Cowan micah-at-cowan.name |lugod|
> wrote:
> > ...I suspect that trying to do so would be impractical on Unix,
> > though: Unix users have far too much control over their environment to
> > be deterred from using something based on some sort of time-tracking
> > scheme... :-)
>
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/dateshift/
>
> I use it in my wrapper shell script for cdrecord-ProDVD to keep it for
> expiring every 6 months (it's free as in beer, but you still have to update
> the key every 6 months, and it annoys me greatly)

Thanks for proving me right, and for the link to a very interesting
piece of software.

What is cdrecord-ProDVD? If it's just a CLI DVD-recorder, have you tried
growisofs from dvd+rw-tools? It is insanely easy to use, and works
extremely well. However, I highly recommend you use the latest version
(compile from source if necessary), especially if you have a Pioneer
drive (as I do). Other drives are extremely likely to work with whatever
your current distro version has.

Free as in speech...

--
Micah J. Cowan