2006 Jun 25 15:06

Re: [vox-tech] rar unrar and non-free package

On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 10:01:46AM -0400, Hai Yi wrote:

> I downloaded a rar zip file and check the debian packages and found
> the utilities like rar/unrar are non-free.

<snip>

> How to proceed if I do want to purchase a non-free package?
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In Debian, "non-free" specifically refers to the license, not the monetary
cost.  From The Debian GNU/Linux FAQ, Chapter 5: "The Debian FTP archives"
[ http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-ftparchives.en.html ]:

  stable/non-free/: This directory contains packages distribution of
  which is restricted in a way that requires that distributors take
  careful account of the specified copyright requirements.

  For example, some packages have licenses which prohibit commercial
  distribution. Others can be redistributed but are in fact shareware
  and not freeware. The licenses of each of these packages must be
  studied, and possibly negotiated, before the packages are included in
  any redistribution (e.g., in a CD-ROM).

So when you go to download a package from the "non-free" Debian repositories,
you're not being charged for it. :)

Just thought I'd clear that up, since it looked like there was some
confusion.

bill@newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/